Monday, November 21, 2011

"The Finer Things"

DISCLAIMER:  You may think I am absolutely crazy after reading this post!  :)

Close to the end of my pregnancy, I decided that I needed to expose McKinley to the "Finer Things" in life.  What might this include, you ask?  None other than the BIG MAC!  Well...let's just say, that's where it began.  I figured that since the reality was that McKinley would never be able to experience such things, we could share these things together!!  Note: This could very well be me in complete denial and that this was only an excuse to eat these things myself....but who cares!!  When I was a kid and before America realized how bad McDonald's was for you, I loved Big Macs!  Of course I could never eat a whole one, I would always split it with my mom.  Well, one night, I didn't feel like cooking, so I asked Matt to stop and grab dinner on his way home.  I decided it was time.  I could not let my daughter go her entire life without tasting the "special sauce."  Before this, I hadn't had a Big Mac in years.  Matt laughed when I told him what I wanted because I don't think he has ever seen me eat one!  So, that night, I sent my mom a text and said, "McKinley and I just split a Big Mac!"  Such a special mother-daughter moment.  :)  Side note: I, of course, am not naive enough to think she could actually taste these things, its just the principal. Hopefully you used your imagination for this post.  :)

The other thing that I was so excited to "share" with McKinley was the "Limited Time" (for the holidays)  Peppermint Chocolate Chip Milkshake at Chickfila.  If you have never had one of these....just say no, and you will never know what you are missing!  After my first one last year(knowing the nutritional facts are horrendous) , I even tried to make a "lower" fat version at home....TOTAL FAILURE and complete letdown!  So, I was waiting for that glorious day when I saw the sign on the Chickfila billboard say, "Its back!" as it did last year.  Well, I am sad to say that I did see that sign, but it was the week after we lost her.  So I have decided that after Thanksgiving, I will have my first (and most likely only, since pregnancy is not my excuse for gaining weight now, haha) Peppermint Chocolate Chip Milkshake with Matt on a blanket by her graveside.  It was just something that I was so excited to share with her and didn't get to.  I feel that this is the closest thing to sharing it with her.

Matt and I go to her site often and have talked about having picnics there when it gets warmer because her plot sits under a pretty tree.  It just our way of feeling close to her and spending time with her even though we know she is in heaven.      

No comments: